sysprogs announces ESP-IDF support in Visual Studio

Moderator: ESP_flying_raijin

sysprogs

sysprogs announces ESP-IDF support in Visual Studio

Postby sysprogs » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:12 am

Hi All,

We are proud to announce that we have added direct support to ESP-IDF projects to VisualGDB - our Visual Studio plugin for advanced cross-platform development.

We have created a new project subsystem that works on top of the ESP-IDF, mapping various low-level settings, components, source file directories, etc. directly to Visual Studio GUI, so you won't need to edit any of those manually. We also designed an advanced graphical editor for KConfig files with hierarchical view and search support, so you can configure you ESP-IDF projects easily.

We have published a detailed tutorial on the new subsystem here: https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/esp32/esp-idf/

Any feedback or suggestions will be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

mikemoy

Re: sysprogs announces ESP-IDF support in Visual Studio

Postby mikemoy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:48 pm

I have been using VisualGDB for Linux applications for a coule years now and it is great.
I am so glad to see you guys are adding this to your package.
I really like the new feature in the project setting to show all the menuconfig options that was a great touch, but would be even better is to allow us to make changes there. I was unable to flash my device via USB. Tried "Start without Debugging" and "Program and Start without Debugging" and both ways pops up with debugger error information.

hassan789

Postby hassan789 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:18 pm

this is great!

sysprogs

Postby sysprogs » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi mikemoy,

We are planning to publish a tutorial on adding custom options to menuconfigs. Stay tuned!
As for the FLASH programming error, it could be a configuration problem. If you could post the details of this on our forum, our support will investigate this promptly and help you get it to work. Thanks.

mikemoy

Postby mikemoy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:01 pm

IMHO, you have to much emphasis on using JTAG to program the device. If not using JTAG, there should be no JTAG warning after flashing each time. There is another issue where it does not follow the download board rate.

Async_Awayt

Postby Async_Awayt » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:50 am

mikemoy wrote:IMHO, you have to much emphasis on using JTAG to program the device. If not using JTAG, there should be no JTAG warning after flashing each time. There is another issue where it does not follow the download board rate.
I agree. The warning is not really needed. It would be enough if it was shown only when choosing an USB device instead of a JTAG during project setup.

The download rate issue is still not fixed...

Also, why does it take so long time to compile?