Can a jumper cable be used to connect gnd between two breadboards?

ahmadreza1383

Can a jumper cable be used to connect gnd between two breadboards?

Postby ahmadreza1383 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:44 pm

This is my first post in this forum, I'm new and not sure if I asked this question in the right place.

I bought an esp32-wroom-32 and as a first test I lit some leds with it
I don't have any problems or errors related to software or hardware, but I wanted to know if there is a solution if I want to extend my gnd pin and connect it to another breadboard? I used a jumper cable to caster GND to another board and now I don't have any performance issues, but I wanted to know if I did the right thing professionally!
The picture below is what I did:
The red jumper cable is connected from the gnd pin to the feed lines and even has 3 leds on it, but at the end of the lines, it is connected to the feed lines of the smaller board with a black jumper! The light on the smaller breadboard will turn on without any problems, but still, was this the correct method?

I'm new and I'm not familiar with many terms, sorry for my poor English

ESP_Sprite

Re: Can a jumper cable be used to connect gnd between two breadboards?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:41 am

ahmadreza1383 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:44 pm
I wanted to know if I did the right thing professionally!
I'd make the point that professionals don't tend to use breadboards much. It's OK for things like LEDs, but as soon as you get to devices that have signals where speed and/or rise and fall times matter (SPI, for instance), breadboards tend to get janky and cause more issues than they solve.

In general, connecting ground up via a jumper wire will work just fine here. I'd keep the wiring consistent, though: only use black wires for gnd, and connect them to the '-' rail, not the '+' one. It will work with inconsistent wire colors and rails, but at some point you're guaranteed to go 'red wire must be positive' and blow something up.