Practical in-vehicle use

ruffle

Practical in-vehicle use

Postby ruffle » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:58 am

I'm using an ESP32 plus other bits to construct a logging system for a racing motorcycle (Can Bus, GPS, Linear position sensors etc) and hoping for some pointers on a couple of things.

1. What to use for storage?

The onboard flash just isn't large enough to store the amount of data (could easily be ~1GB per hour and some races are 6+ hours). FRAM is also too small as is external SPI Flash so logging to an SDCard seems to be the only sane option (other suggestions gratefully received).

I'll be powering everything from the vehicles battery (see below) which means the power supply is going to get turned off at random and something in my water tells me that's just asking for corruption of an SDCard.

Is this likely to be a problem in reality?

2. Power supply

As mentioned, I want to power everything from the bike and 'common knowledge' says that the voltage is likely to fluctuate significantly.

Even with the huge number of Arduino-esk modules that are out there, I've not managed to find a small module that will reliably power my ESP32 from a notional 12V vehicle supply.

Am I missing something obvious? I'd have thought in-vehicle use was a natural place to be deploying ESP32s.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

PS - I'm a programmer not an electronics bod so circuit design isn't an area I'm familiar with; hence trying to use modules.

WiFive

Re: Practical in-vehicle use

Postby WiFive » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:03 am

12v -> usb -> power pack -> esp32