Custom PCB's, how far do you go?

joehaase

Custom PCB's, how far do you go?

Postby joehaase » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:09 am

So I am at the point where i am outgrowing using the trusty breadboards for some of my projects. One in particular will be about 20 to 30 duplicates of the same set up. Currently I am using the ESP32 Dev c. It also requires a micro sd card reader, a sparkfun MAX3232 CMOS to TTL shifter, and some jumpers. All of the modules are on individual boards with header pins that solder neatly into my breadboard, but space is tight.

So the question is, when do you decide to switch over to a custom PCB, and how far do you take it? I know ideally i would have all the individual components on it, but many are surface mount. Is it worth switching over from through hole soldering to SMT for something that will be hidden in a box, or do you just make do and not care how it looks?

The project isnt something that will be up for sale, but is part of a large data logging project we are working on.

ESP_Sprite

Re: Custom PCB's, how far do you go?

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:36 am

I'm pretty comfy designing and sending off for manufacturing my own PCBs and I have a irrational hatred for bread boards, so my answer would be that I fab a PCB as soon as I can't cobble what I want together from devboards haphazardly soldered together anymore :) I personally like to slap an ESP32-Wrover/Wroom module on them: that way I can still have a small-ish form factor without needing to worry about me making mistakes routing RF stuff; the RF bits neatly stay within the module.

joehaase

Postby joehaase » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 am

My only concern I have is picking out some of the smaller components like the voltage regulators and such. I am definitely getting tired of burning spots my kitchen table lol

bobolink

Postby bobolink » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:00 pm

I just identify the new or risky part of a design, breadboard that, then go straight to a board.
This was a switching regulator module on the boards out for fab now.
I’m sort of in transition. I use the biggest module now whenever possible. Instead of a ESP32-Wroom module I use a complete DevkitC. I can’t beat the price parting out small quantities. CAD layout now for me is nothing but dropping 0.1” IDC footprints for the modules and a few through hole discreets.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:29 am

joehaase wrote:My only concern I have is picking out some of the smaller components like the voltage regulators and such. I am definitely getting tired of burning spots my kitchen table lol
How's that a concern? If I need some jellybean part, say a 3.3V regulator, I usually do some research into what I need, and buy, like, 25 or so of them. Gives me better prices and I don't have to think about grabbing one for my next project. With resistors and capacitors, I have 'sample books' with the entire range of 0603 resistors and capacitors, 25 of each value. As soon as I run out of one value, I decide I use enough of them to buy A Lot, and I usually grab a reel with a few thousand of them off Taobao. Gives me enough for a lifetime, and only costs like 5 dollar or so.