EN300328 RSE ESP-WROOM-32 Failure

jkhax0r

EN300328 RSE ESP-WROOM-32 Failure

Postby jkhax0r » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:39 pm

We have a product that is going to market that needed to run through CE RED testing. It uses the pre-certified ESP-WROOM-32, but because we have a second low power radio on our PCB we had to re-run the testing of the module.

As part of this testing they had to run the ESP32 in its stand-alone test mode for radiated spurious emissions in the exact fashion as the original EspressIf cert (without the other radio running). The result is that it has failed RSE testing.

Does this sound surprising or does anything about the test result below seem wrong? What can I possibly do to fix this since I can't modify the module? I'm afraid we will not be able to sell our product in Europe as a result.

Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (271.07 KiB) Viewed 4878 times

ESP_Sprite

Re: EN300328 RSE ESP-WROOM-32 Failure

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 am

Apart from what anyone here can come up with, if you have a support contact with Espressif, you may want to try ask them, I think our testing people may be able to give you some advice here. If not, you can always try mailing sales at espressif dot com. In general, it would also help if you could give an indication of your board layout, by the way.

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:35 am

How is the peak at 2.4 so low?

jkhax0r

Postby jkhax0r » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:18 pm

Does it look like the testing may be suspicious or maybe a bad board or something? I'll admit that my initial thought was maybe something was done wrong, plus we've been dealing with a test engineer that doesn't seem to be very experienced and the language barrier has been pretty severe as well. Unfortunately I'm not too intimate with this testing and was under the impression that if I follow the general WROOM-32 layout rules things would be fine.

Subjectively our wifi performance seems to be solid.

I'll have to check about providing layout since its a design for a large customer and I don't think we technically own it. Unfortunately we have a rep in China that sources, builds, and tests our product so I have no direct contact with EspressIf at the moment.

Can or does EspressIf provide the same results that they got when running this test on the WROOM-32?