Esp32 connected to 1-wire overheats and burns board

slluch

Esp32 connected to 1-wire overheats and burns board

Postby slluch » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:48 pm

HI. Im newbie and i have a very few knowledhe of HW. I come from SW. We are trying to connect esp32 to a device implenting 1wire protocol. So 1 pin from esp32 is connected to 1-wire data device. Everything is done and working great.... but i've burnt 6 boards already and it seems that there is no reason at all!. But I suspect that it is because 1-wire data is 5v and of course esp is 3.3. So the question is...is there an easy way to connect an output pin to a 5v device? I have a buck converter just for connect esp32 to 12v/24.... but do i have to add another buck converter to 1wire pin? How?

ESP_Angus

Re: Esp32 connected to 1-wire overheats and burns board

Postby ESP_Angus » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:08 am

Hi,

There's not really enough detail here to give an answer. Exactly what device(s) do you have (what ESP32 board and what is the "1-wire device"), exactly what pins are connected to what? Exactly what power sources are connected to what (and on which pins)

If you can provide photos or a diagram of the connections, someone can probably help you find the problem.

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:27 am

Most 1-wire devices can work at 3.3v

slluch

Postby slluch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:00 pm

HI. no matter what esp32 i use...because i burnt all of them. I'm connecting esp32 to 12v/24 gps device using a bucket converter (OKI-78SR-3.3). Everything is fine at this point. When connecting one pin from esp32 to a "1-wire data pin" from gps device, which works at 5v, smoke starts appearing. The problem is that sometimes it takes a lot for smoke to appear...so that is why i realized so late of this fact (and of course because i'm absolutely a newbie).
So the product pointed by WiFive about "Bi-Directional Logic Level Converter" seems to be a good solution... i will test it tomorrow. But my question is now: is it mandatory to connect "HV" and "GND" from gps device? i mean...it will be enough just to connect any of "HVX" and "GNDX"? gps device has "1wire power" and "1wire data" pins. I dont know if i will have to use both of them or just with "1wire data" will be engough. For i-button it is only neede 1wire data (no 1wire power)

I really appreciate any comments before i burn my house with all my family inside.

Thank you

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:13 am

Hi slluch,

There still isn't enough information in your post for someone to help you. You mention a number of pin names but you haven't mentioned the model number of the GPS device you are using, so noone can help you. A good picture of your setup will help a lot.

Angus

slluch

Postby slluch » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi. finally this is the solution. thank you very much!

slluch

Postby slluch » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:19 pm

finally chegewara got the solution with logic level converter. thank you!!