High current consumption of Bluetooth BLE and long time initialisation

marekg

High current consumption of Bluetooth BLE and long time initialisation

Postby marekg » Tue May 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Hello,

I am struggling with BLE in advertising mode. In principle all works but my problem is following:
- initialization of BLE takes too long. For example, function esp_bt_controller_enable(ESP_BT_MODE_BLE) takes almost 600ms.
- power consumption during initialization of BLE is around 110mA

Is it normal behavior? Is there chance to reduce current consumption and/or shorten initialization time?

Note:
I found this problem as the real show stopper as we need advertising mode and running from the battery.
I knew that BLE is off during deep sleep and idea was to wake up ESP32 every X seconds and make advertising.
But it still takes too much energy from the battery. It is not usable in battery scenario.
If I do not fix this problem I will need to skip the ESP32 module:-(

Thank you for any idea.

c2mw4_geg

Re: High current consumption of Bluetooth BLE and long time initialisation

Postby c2mw4_geg » Tue May 28, 2019 5:24 pm

My project also has the same challenge of Ultra Low Power BLE Advertising. It seems to me the challenge is twofold: (1) long time to initialize the heavy comprehensive system of ESP-IDF / Bluetooth as noted by the OP and (2) only Modem Sleep but not Deep Sleep is used. I think I see an implementation strategy for Ultra Low Power BLE Advertising and Infrequent Connection (ULP BLE-AIC) that does not require a shorter BLE / system initialization time. However, this strategy requires close collaboration with Espressif engineering. Any interest from Espressif? Cheers, /george

c2mw4_geg

Postby c2mw4_geg » Fri May 31, 2019 2:21 pm

The strategy as envisioned would
  • achieve few 100's microAmp average current consumption while waiting for a BLE connection
  • not require changing the existing BLE stack
  • not expose BLE radio or packet-level operating details to possible bad-guys
  • avoid the issue of keeping the 100kB+ size BLE code in memory while trying to do other things, in many cases
  • be simple to implement
Wondering, would this open a lot of IoT applications to use ESP32, that can't now?

Cheers,
/george

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:20 am

Hello ESP32 BT Developers,

We have also started to work on Bluetooth Classic and BLE modes with sample GATT Server Example. Now, We are planning to move further to understand into details with BT Stack and Application point of view.

We are also planning to use BLE into few our products which will be operated most probably on battery.

So, We might face same issue of High Current Consumption at that time. We will plan in parallel to start measurement for that stuff.

Meanwhile, Would you please check few queries regarding High Current Consumption which has been posted earlier into this thread? so that we can have idea to move further for that if really issue from current consumption perspective.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati