I can't use esp-idf with vs code help me please!

echocharlie

I can't use esp-idf with vs code help me please!

Postby echocharlie » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:02 am

Hi i am trying to use esp-idf with vs code but i don't know too much how can i use, i am beginner. I installed esp-idf,vs code,git and python. When i was trying to open a new terminal, the terminal adding ESP-IDF tools to PATH and i got this error:
C:\Espressif\python_env\idf5.0_py3.11_env\Scripts\python.exe doesn't exist! Please run the install script or "idf_tools.py install-python-env" in order to create it.

I don't know how to use "idf_tools.py install-python-env". Can somebody tell me how to do please.
Attachments
esp1.jpg
esp1.jpg (94.69 KiB) Viewed 1388 times

ESP_Roland

Re: I can't use esp-idf with vs code help me please!

Postby ESP_Roland » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:53 am

We recommend to use the Windows Tool Installer available from here: https://dl.espressif.com/dl/esp-idf/ This is the easiest and the most reliable way to install ESP-IDF on Windows.

You can find a lot of tutorials and setup guides for the Vscode extentions here: https://github.com/espressif/vscode-esp-idf-extension

Thierry91

Postby Thierry91 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:51 am

I had the same kind of issues when a started with esp-idf and vs code a few days ago. I probably missed something in the tutorials, but I think that I am not the only one ending up with with a non-usable environment. I managed to have it working.
What I have written in this post should help you :viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32494&sid=56c19ae7 ... 55#p110873

fabianmejia

Postby fabianmejia » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:19 pm

What ESP_Roland said.
Using the installer is the easiest way to get it working.
It tried following the step by step installation on the espressif website, and it caused a lot of headaches.
The installer sets up everything for you.