Windows installation with space in username

Gryphon88

Windows installation with space in username

Postby Gryphon88 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:39 pm

Hi,
I get errors while compiling examples with esp-idf 5.0.1 and 4.4.0, standard library and esp-specific headers are not resolved. I think that possible reason is that my windows username has space in it so compiler fails to locate %userprofile%/.espressif folder. How can I move the folder to an arbitrary location or configure esp-idf installer not to use %userprofile%?
Best,
Serge.

mbratch

Re: Windows installation with space in username

Postby mbratch » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:59 pm

Hm. Having a space in the user name there can be problematic for some programs...

Maybe moving your .espressif folder to a new location and setting the following environment variables accordingly will work?

What you could try is to dump out your environment variables and check which ones reference the .espressif path. Move your .espressif folder and change all of the affected environment variables. Below are only seven examples, but I think I found over 20 variables that reference the folder:

Code: Select all

IDF_GIT=C:/Users/username/.espressif/tools/idf-git/2.34.2/cmd/git.exe
IDF_GIT_DIR=C:\Users\username\.espressif\tools\idf-git\2.34.2\cmd\
IDF_PATH=C:\Users\username\.espressif\frameworks\esp-idf-v5.0
IDF_PYTHON=C:/Users/username/.espressif/python_env/idf5.0_py3.9_env/Scripts/python.exe
IDF_PYTHON_DIR=C:\Users\username\.espressif\python_env\idf5.0_py3.9_env\Scripts\
IDF_PYTHON_ENV_PATH=C:\Users\username\.espressif\python_env\idf5.0_py3.9_env
IDF_TOOLS_PATH=C:\Users\username\.espressif