OTA firmware update error

Baldhead

Re: OTA firmware update error

Postby Baldhead » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:14 am

Hi,

Could someone from espressif confirm if espressif will test this ?

Thank's.

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:02 am

Lemme ask around, see if anyone knows about this. If not, you may be best off creating a minimal example and posting it as a bug on the ESP-IDF Github.

Just to check, do you know if the image made it to the OTA location succesfully? You can dump the flash at that location using esptool and do a binary compare against the OTA image to check.

Baldhead

Postby Baldhead » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:24 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:02 am
Lemme ask around, see if anyone knows about this. If not, you may be best off creating a minimal example and posting it as a bug on the ESP-IDF Github.

Just to check, do you know if the image made it to the OTA location succesfully? You can dump the flash at that location using esptool and do a binary compare against the OTA image to check.
Hi ESP_Sprite,

Github:
https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/issues/11903

I already did a binary comparison and everything is ok.
I explain all this in the other answers.

In short, all that's left is this:
* Ota works for flash addresses below 16MB.
* Ota DOESN'T work for flash addresses above 16MB.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:32 pm

hi @Baldhead

do you use the ESP32-S3-N32R8v from espressif?
it has octal 8 MB psram in the package and octal 32 MB flash extern.

there are different things which is also not clear just in time to me and i am working also on this puzzle "psram" again, to reburnout the 8 MB psram inside package to a higher 32 MB psram ( 256 Mbit ), i want update you in a "psram mod post" but found your problem also on github.

esptool/stub problem

Code: Select all

the stub currently doesn't support quad flash chips larger than 16MB (only octal) - this feature is being worked on.

if you can erase the 32 MB flash by 32*1024*1024 FF's byself write to flash, you have a chance to reflash the 32 MB.

( create a FF binary with 32*1024*1024 0xFF 's ) and write it to 0x0 )

for the question "upper limit for octal" i get also no answere, so the time ( this days ) comes to do this again byself.
i will post my explore in this never ending theme soon, my question will be also, does we can drive other octal psram well
or will we again fail like it was in esp32 pico... again salami tactic from espressif and the espressifer's.
you get not these details.

you can not create a partition in the higher space ( > 16 MB ) usually normal ways like it is mentioned
sry - cause it can not be cleared after 16MB and esptool resets the USB connection 3 times before it starts to write - which you allways then loose your com port (windows) / ttyUSB0 ( linux ) .

fix:
you start esptool with arguments without hardware resets and do this by self before you start this manually
if you start this by updateservice, you need to change the script to not use the hardware reset :/ ....

use the uart0 instead this - sry - crazzy USB Jtag port - and i know from what i talk -
which always disappears with every (hardware) reset- you can't use from begin the "USB JTAG Port" cause it need to be initialized after SoC started :/ - how we can use this in the first way of starting ESP32-S3 - never time - only after the initializing of SoC
and if this fails you get a nonstop initialze and ding dong on windows..

reset the board with rst boot and hold the bootloader button for comming in bootloader mode,
and let this stay in bootloader by press all the time until you are ready. for this you need the button / IO0
the most boards comes without IO0 - so you must be very brave to let this doing do...on the "USB JTAG POrt"

usually it should be gone with esp-idf 5 - and support 32MB, but it does not in all! fact! dot!

i will come back to this posting after weekend - you will get answeres from me weekend and i can then say also,
does esp32-s3 real support 1GB Psram or not.

did you note that there is no ESP32-S3 on market which has more as 8 MB PSRAM?
i want know why and i want change this.

i have all on desk - pcb comes wednesday 2 Aug.

i think we get after this weekend a 800 MB update in the ESP-IDF
and a new toolchain ....it is not supported yet! only on demand! fact! dot!

hope this helps in the meantime.

best wishes
rudi ;-)
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 21-37-27 rudi -) on Twitter.png
( if you can't use twitter )
Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 21-37-27 rudi -) on Twitter.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 19631 times
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

Baldhead

Postby Baldhead » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:34 pm

hi @rudi ;-)

I deleted the entire flash memory before testing and the problem still occurred.

At least I think the espressif tool erased all 32MB.

Amazing work you're doing.

Thank's.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:52 pm

hi @Baldhead,

just for asking:
which "ota project" you using?
is it an "older" from an prev Version of the actually ESP-IDF you use or is this project up2date with the actually ESP-IDF in all`?
- esptool from the ESP-IDF or from the repo?
- component manager from the ESP-IDF ( install / export ) or from the repo
- is all the same version compatibility or did you see anything in the "install" also in the "export" ..or "idf_cmd_init.bat" ?

never delete .espressif - just rename it - so there you can allways switch back to your fav working env

best wishes
rudi ;-)
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

Baldhead

Postby Baldhead » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:39 pm

rudi ;-) wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:52 pm
hi @Baldhead,

just for asking:
is it an "older" from an prev Version of the actually ESP-IDF you use or is this project up2date with the actually ESP-IDF in all`?
- is all the same version compatibility or did you see anything in the "install" also in the "export" ..or "idf_cmd_init.bat" ?

never delete .espressif - just rename it - so there you can allways switch back to your fav working env

best wishes
rudi ;-)
Hi @rudi ;-),

I don't know if I understood your question very well.

I am using esp-idf v5.1(last stable version).
My project is "old".

I am using visual studio code and the vsc espressif extension inside visual studio code to installing all the tools and the esp-idf v5.1.

I have only one version of esp-idf and tools installed in my windows 11 computer.
I configured some env variables in windows too.

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:08 pm

Baldhead wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:39 pm
rudi ;-) wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:52 pm
hi @Baldhead,

just for asking:

best wishes
rudi ;-)
Hi @rudi ;-),

I don't know if I understood your question very well.

I am using esp-idf v5.1(last stable version).
My project is "old".

I am using visual studio code and the vsc espressif extension inside visual studio code to installing all the tools and the esp-idf v5.1.

I have only one version of esp-idf and tools installed in my windows 11 computer.
I configured some env variables in windows too.
Hi @Baldhead
you use the last release V5.1 which was "installed" by the VSC extension and all the tools, right?
32MB support is working there from esptool side for the origin N32R8v ( Devkit-C-1 and WROOM-2 ) octal;

i come back after the weekend to this post, i know then more. hope this is ok for the meantime.

can you check the partition sizes, are they 4096 compatible? which blocksize ?

best wishes
rudi ;-)
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

Baldhead

Postby Baldhead » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:27 pm

Hi @rudi;-)

"you use the last release V5.1 which was "installed" by the VSC extension and all the tools, right?"
YES.

Partition file in annex.
Attachments
partitions_ota.csv
(319 Bytes) Downloaded 272 times

Baldhead

Postby Baldhead » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:37 pm

Hi,

Is it correct ?

esp-idf windows folder C:\esp-idf
git describe return v5.1