Flashing error - new ESP module

imtiaz

Flashing error - new ESP module

Postby imtiaz » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi,

We've just received our own ESP Module and Im trying to flash through the uart bootloader. I get this error :

AR libmain.a
LD app-template.elf
esptool.py v2.0-dev
Flashing binaries to serial port COM3 (app at offset 0x10000)...
esptool.py v2.0-dev
Connecting...
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Attaching SPI flash...
Configuring flash size...

A fatal error occurred: Timed out waiting for packet content
make: *** [C:/esp32/esp-idf/components/esptool_py/Makefile.projbuild:48: flash] Error 2

Please help to diagnose what the problem could be. Since this is a brand new chip that hasnt been flashed before do I just use teh standard "make flash" or do I need to flash the Bootloader using "Make bootloader-flash"

The flash chip is GD25Q32c (32Mbit). Ive changed flash size in menuconifg to 4 Byte. I can attach schematic if required.

Thank you,
Imtiaz

WiFive

Re: Flashing error - new ESP module

Postby WiFive » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:02 pm

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi Imtiaz,

I think the problem you're seeing may be different to the one WiFive has linked, due to the very early failure. Does your ESP32 design have adequate power, including enough capacitance on the power rails (placed close to the ESP32 itself)?

If you run "make" instead or "make flash" then esp-idf will print a command line for esptool.py. Can you try copy-pasting this command into a terminal, and then post a copy of both the full command and the output? Thanks.

Angus

imtiaz

Postby imtiaz » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:57 pm

Hi ,

Many thanks for the prompt reply. So we found that on our PCB the SI and SO lines to the flash chip are swapped , so I have sent the board for modifications and hopefully it will fix the issue.

I assume there is no way to change the bootloader to swap those pins on the micro side?

Thanks
Imtiaz

imtiaz

Postby imtiaz » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Update - All working after MODS to our board swapping SI and SO .