Preview release: CMake-based build system for ESP-IDF

ESP_Angus

Re: Preview release: CMake-based build system for ESP-IDF

Postby ESP_Angus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:50 pm

chrismerck wrote: So, hopefully there will be a period of time where we can still use the latest ESP-IDF updates without forcing us to move to cmake. And, hopefully you will have all of the bugs worked out of the cmake system before dropping support for the pure GNU make system. That way we never have a period where we cannot easily pull in updates via git fetch.
Yes. There's no schedule yet for removal of the GNU Make based system. It remain the default build system for IDF v3.x, and we plan to make CMake the default for IDF v4.0. However GNU Make will also be supported for v4.x.

So the earliest we could decide to remove GNU Make support would be IDF v5.0 (as yet unscheduled, but definitely not this year). If we decide this then it will be based on the maturity of CMake support, and we will give plenty of notice.

(Regarding the general question of support - releasing of bug fixes, etc - for older major releases, we're in the process of coming up with a more formal policy about this which we will release ASAP.)

Deouss

Postby Deouss » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:05 pm

I just wanted to update that CMake works without any problems so far for me.

Compilation is very very fast comparing to MSYS2 MinGW 32-bit.
If anyone is interested how to set up CMake for ESP-IDF RTOS under Windows 10 and Visual Studio Code - let me know and I post small guide.

luisonoff

Postby luisonoff » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:49 am

I would be very interested about any guide explaining how to setup CMake with any other IDE apart of Eclipse. Visual Studio Code sounds great. :D

locustcox

Postby locustcox » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:39 pm

I have a favor to ask. There are a few bugs that have been fixed in master on the bluetooth end that have not been reflected on the feature/cmake branch. I know it's only experimental, but would you all be able to merge master into feature/cmake?

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:40 am

We're in the process of merging feature/cmake into master, so hopefully it will be available (without needing a separate branch) very soon.

locustcox

Postby locustcox » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:11 am

That’s great! Thank you. My company is in the middle of a very rushed evaluation of the esp32 platform, along with a couple others. One requirement is that it integrate easily into our cmake build system, and another is that we can demonstrate simultaneously running WiFi and Bluetooth. A bug that’s on the cmake branch (it isn’t caused by the cmake branch. It exists in master as well at that point in the repo) disconnects Bluetooth as soon as WiFi starts up. That bug is preventing us from checking that final box.

If you happen to have a not-ready-for-master, but still functional branch that I could help test, that would be great. Otherwise, I guess I can just try to merge in the Bluetooth changes from master into feature/cmake locally and then wait for the release by you all.

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi Espressif Developer or SDK Team,

We are working on ESP32 IDF 3.1 Release for our one of product and I just read about few post of CMAKE base ESP32 Preview Release IDF which will be going to release into ESP32 IDF 4.0 or 5.0

So, What will be the state for older GNU make based system which are running on older release once CMAKE based IDF will be merged into master and released as stable release?

So, Still we will get IDF 4.0 or 5.0 on GNU make based system or it will be completely going to be obsolete?

I am afraid of that support for GNU make based IDF once CMAKE based stable IDF will be released.

Also, Would you please let me know tentative schedule for that release?
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

ESP_igrr

Postby ESP_igrr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:44 am

CMake preview is currently available in IDF v3.1 release and in master branch. It is a preview — some things are expected to change. It is expected to be stable and fully functional in IDF 4.0, at which point it will become the recommended way to use ESP-IDF. GNU Make based build system will still be supported (but will not receive new features). There is no plan yet for removal of GNU Make based build system.

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:19 pm

ESP_igrr wrote:CMake preview is currently available in IDF v3.1 release and in master branch. It is a preview — some things are expected to change. It is expected to be stable and fully functional in IDF 4.0, at which point it will become the recommended way to use ESP-IDF. GNU Make based build system will still be supported (but will not receive new features). There is no plan yet for removal of GNU Make based build system.
Hi,

Thanks for Reply and information regarding that.

But, What if we want to continue GNU based system forever with latest update inline with CMAKE based system? can we get that type of support at that time? or once CMAKE build system will be released as stable release then GNU make build system will not be maintained means not updated after that?

Hope this will clear our concern regarding CMAKE vs GNU MAKE build system usage.
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati