Seeing ESP-IDF source codes in my eclipse project

weyoui

Seeing ESP-IDF source codes in my eclipse project

Postby weyoui » Sun May 20, 2018 7:41 am

Target Board : LOLIN32-Lite

Hey guys,

I am a newb and using eclipse IDE for developing my project.
I could successfully compiled and downloaded my project into my ESP32 board.
But I could see the ESP-IDF library files that was compiled with my project files. This is uncomfortable for rapid checking the reference code. Is there a way to see the ESP-IDF library files in my project on using eclipse?

Thanks,
weyoui

kolban

Re: Seeing ESP-IDF source codes in my eclipse project

Postby kolban » Mon May 21, 2018 12:47 am

Howdy and welcome to the forum.

The answer to your question is "yes". Eclipse is super powerful but with power comes a LOT of complexity and features. For example, the ESP-IDF is distributed in source form. This means that the source files for ESP-IDF are available to you. Find where you downloaded the ESP-IDF and you will find a directory called components. Go into that directory and you will find a directory for each major ESP32 component and underneath there, the source of those files.

In eclipse, you can add directories to your projects ... one of the options of adding a directory is to create a "link" to an existing directory. If you take your own project and add a link to the source directory for the ESP-IDF components, then from within Eclipse, you can browse and navigate down into those directories and you are good to go.
Free book on ESP32 available here: https://leanpub.com/kolban-ESP32

weyoui

Postby weyoui » Tue May 22, 2018 10:59 pm

Kolan,

Thank you for your kind replying on my question.
As you commented, adding the folder as a link was the solution that I found.
I also downloaded your book and start reading this book. :)

Thanks,
weyoui

Max444

Postby Max444 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:39 am

Neil,

Could you elaborate on how to add the link in Eclipse? I tried this in the latest Eclipse version (2019-09) using Add Folder to the project and selecting in the advanced menu to add a link to the ESP-IDF/components folder which created a folder named components. I could bring up the source files in the editor, but there's a lot of other stuff in this folder. This resulted in a lot of undefines in my app main when I did a build. Am I missing some steps?

Thanks, Max

Max444

Postby Max444 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:48 pm

I'm running on a Windows 10 desktop using Eclipse 2019-09.

I got a little further working on this, but it still isn't working satisfactorily. I tried adding a link in the project properties C/C++ General -> Paths and Symbols -> Source Location and adding a link to the ESP-IDF/components folder. Error indicators in the editor window with main.c were greatly reduced, but this resulted in an error like the one in the attached PDF screenshot. :?:

I then tried extracting all the .c files in the ESP-IDF/components folder using WinZip and making a "source" folder using just those files. I added this using the add folder with a link in the Eclipse project explorer. This resulted in the same error as above (and is what I took the screenshot from). I have no idea why this caused int32_t to be unresolved. I have an include for stdint.h in app_main.c

The build all runs without error. And I rebuilt the C/C++ index after adding the source folder.

I also add that when running in debug mode using OpenOCD I can set a breakpoint and bring up the source files in the thread list. As in the original post here, I'd like to be able to browse through the source files in the C/C++ mode.
Attachments
EclipseScreen.pdf
(214.21 KiB) Downloaded 333 times