Large web server on WROVER

PeterR

Large web server on WROVER

Postby PeterR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:06 am

Hi,
I need to host a large web site (3.3MB+ minified) on a WROVER.
The ideal would be to use SPIFFS but the WROVER's 4MB flash is too small.

I also read that the spi_flash library is only suitable for use with the 'main' program flash (SPI0).
We will fit something like a W25Q128JVSIQ to our board. The hardware engineers are not keen on SD cards.

I therefore need an eco system: 1) Build file system image, 2) Download to target, 3) Access files from HTTP request.
I guess for ease of use I should hook into newLib into the 'C' file system.

I have seen a few requests for 16MB WROVER and wonder if someone has already created the above & is able to give some pointers.
& I also believe that IDF CAN should be fixed.

WiFive

Re: Large web server on WROVER

Postby WiFive » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:34 am

PeterR

Postby PeterR » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks, yea we spotted this but think that its a Mouser mistake. The pricing is the same as the 4MB version and the linked datasheet says that its 4MB, 8MB. I understand that datasheets may lag especially when just a memory option but the pricing....

loboris

Postby loboris » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:26 am

PeterR wrote:Thanks, yea we spotted this but think that its a Mouser mistake. The pricing is the same as the 4MB version and the linked datasheet says that its 4MB, 8MB. I understand that datasheets may lag especially when just a memory option but the pricing....
It is not a mistake, the prices are not the same (4MB - 4.20 US$, 8MB - 4.60 US$, 16MB - 5.00 US$), it reflects the flash chip prices differences (which are quite low). ESP32-WROVER-B.

PeterR

Postby PeterR » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:57 pm

Cool, Thanks. I will sack that team member & destroy his family ;)
Awesume to have the B series; I can get 16Mb flash! The finance ppl will just have to suck it in.

Guess that we have the same cache restriction on Flash write and RAM access. Hope that's on the plan :)