mdns example not work!

Patrik Celin

mdns example not work!

Postby Patrik Celin » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:02 am

Hi guys,
I'm working with master branch v.3.3-dev and I've tried "mdns_example".
It doesn't works for me.

I've configured the SSID, the password of an external AP, and the hostname of the device for mdns (I've setted "esp32").
When I run the example, I see print in the log the correct name of hostname, ("esp32_xy_zt_xw) with xy,zt,xw the last 3 numbers of MAC address.

It connect to my external AP correctly, then I see the the IP received from external AP.
It try to do "Query A: tinytester.local" with the error "ESP_ERR_NOT_FOUND: Host was not found!"

When I push the button it prints all the query in sequence but with the same error: "No results found!"
Then in an other PC host connected to my external AP, I've tried to ping esp32: I'm able to perform the ping action using the IP of the esp32 but if I try using the hostname "esp32_xy_zt_xw.local" I'm not able to perform ping action.

Can you help me please!
Thank you
Bye

Patrik

ESP_cermak

Re: mdns example not work!

Postby ESP_cermak » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:20 am

Hi,

Please make sure you have typed the host name correctly. I see some underscores between address bytes in your post, it should be <menuconfig-name>_XXYYZZ, where XXYYZZ are last 3 numbers from MAC in hex.

Please try to locate this line in the log?

Code: Select all

I (239) mdns-test: mdns hostname set to: [esp32-mdns_XXYYZZ]
if you just copy the text in [braces] add `.local` and try to ping (esp32-mdns_XXYYZZ.local) it doesn't respond?
This should work as this is being tested continuously by CI server.

Thanks.
David

Patrik Celin

Postby Patrik Celin » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:44 pm

I've typed in the post the wrong hostname.
My hostname is esp32-mdns_XXYYZZ (with XXYYZZ mac address number, the same hostname that I see in the log).

If I tried ping esp32-mdns_XXYYZZ with the command "ping esp32-mdns_XXYYZZ.local" , I have the above problem.

Patrik Celin

Postby Patrik Celin » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Sorry, now I've tried with a Ubuntu device and I'm able to perform the ping to hostname, so I think that there is some settings or firewall rule that to avoid mDNS in Windows 10.