low.js, Node.JS for microcontrollers, now free for any ESP32-WROVER board

neoniousTR

low.js, Node.JS for microcontrollers, now free for any ESP32-WROVER board

Postby neoniousTR » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:38 pm

I would like to share a project which was hell of a work for us till now, and some of you might not like at first, as it might seem unorthodox. But, as I as an avid embedded C++ programmer with experience in FreeRTOS and ESP-IDF noticed myself, it is fun to program with it and saves lots of work for many tasks.

What I am talking about is:

We are the people behind low.js, which is a port of the JavaScript runtime Node.js with far lower system requirements. low.js supports all microcontroller boards based on the ESP32-WROVER module.

The great news is that, while low.js already ran on boards you could buy from us, we have opened our platform to allow everybody to flash their ESP32-WROVER boards with low.js, for free. You can find more information on how our website https://www.lowjs.org/

Controlling electronics through a website served by the microcontroller itself requires just a few lines of code. Because the programs can be written using the non-blocking Node.JS API, it is easy to build complex IoT applications doing many things simultaneously.

The ESP32-WROVER module, on the other hand, is a very cost effective solution for any IoT device requiring both a microcontroller and a Wifi connection, with unit costs of under 3 $ for large amounts. It is powerful (240 Mhz Dual Core), but still power efficient.

I am looking forward to your feedback, and ready to answer any questions.

Thomas

j.whitfield

Re: low.js, Node.JS for microcontrollers, now free for any ESP32-WROVER board

Postby j.whitfield » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:26 pm

Looks like a fantastic offering.
We've been thinking of using ESP32-WROOM modules (have already some soldered onto boards) Would low.js work on a ESP32-WROOM or is that just not sufficient to support low.js? Thanks and congrats..I wish you success!
Jim

AH, I see now "When buying one of these, double check you are not buying an ESP-WROOM-32 based board, as they do not have the 4 MB PSRAM required for low.js." Nevermind.