xtensa-esp32-elf-g++": file does not exist error; can't compile, please help

perigalacticon

xtensa-esp32-elf-g++": file does not exist error; can't compile, please help

Postby perigalacticon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:03 am

I get this error when compiling any sketch for the ESP32 Feather:

Code: Select all

exec: "C:\\Users\\Perigalacticon\\Documents\\Arduino\\sketches\\hardware\\espressif\\esp32/tools/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-g++": file does not exist Error compiling for board Adafruit ESP32 Feather.
I tried reinstalling the core 4 different times, the directions say that the sketchbook directory is:
Sketchbook Directory: Usually C:/Users/[YOUR_USER_NAME]/Documents/Arduino
But this is not true, this is not the usual sketchbook directory, usually it is:
C:/Users/[YOUR_USER_NAME]/Documents/Arduino/sketches.

Right now this is the directory structure:

C:\Users\Perigalacticon\Documents\Arduino\sketches\hardware\espressif\esp32\tools

See attached picture.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (25.51 KiB) Viewed 27631 times
Anyway I can't compile any sketch if installed to either directory, it gives the error immediately that it can't find the files and I have restarted and reinstalled everything several times. Can you please help me. I have a standard up-to-date IDE installation on Windows10 64 bit.

chegewara

Re: xtensa-esp32-elf-g++": file does not exist error; can't compile, please help

Postby chegewara » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:42 pm

You have to move whole hardware directory one level up:

Documents\\Arduino\\sketches\\hardware
into:

Documents\\Arduino\\hardware

perigalacticon

Re: xtensa-esp32-elf-g++": file does not exist error; can't compile, please help

Postby perigalacticon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:08 pm

I had it there, I don't think that's right because then the Esp32 board section was not even available in the list.

chegewara

Postby chegewara » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:57 pm

It works.
arduino.PNG
arduino.PNG (17.95 KiB) Viewed 27612 times

If you cant make it to work maybe just reinstall arduino and all libraries (espressif/arduino-esp32 too). I know few users that got issues with arduino-ide and they got fresh installations and problems gone.

perigalacticon

Postby perigalacticon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:04 pm

So how am I supposed to change the location? Is there a way to "uninstall" the installation I made?

perigalacticon

Postby perigalacticon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:35 am

So I deleted the \Documents\Arduino\sketches\hardware\expressif directory and re installed it to the \Documents\Arduino\hardware\ directory and now I have the expressif\esp32\tools directory; however, now there is NO LIST of ESP32 boards in the Boards Manager Menu. They were there when I installed it the sketches hardware directory, but not now. And I have restarted the IDE, and the computer.

I have another set of Arduino program directories at C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\ because it's a 64bit machine and it makes you install it that way, however all of my sketches are in the Documents directory, but all of my libraries are in the x86 directory. So where exactly is this supposed to be installed, because it's not working for me.

leovzz

Postby leovzz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:44 am

I have the same problem, however I think problem is related to get script failing dus to SSLerror

================
C:\Users\leo\Documents\Arduino\hardware\espressif\esp32\tools>get
System: Windows, Info: Windows-10-10.0.16299
Platform: i686-mingw32
Downloading xtensa-esp32-elf-win32-1.22.0-75-gbaf03c2-5.2.0.zip
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "get.py", line 139, in <module>
get_tool(tool)
File "get.py", line 89, in get_tool
r = requests.get(url)
File "site-packages\requests\api.py", line 70, in get
File "site-packages\requests\api.py", line 56, in request
File "site-packages\requests\sessions.py", line 488, in request
File "site-packages\requests\sessions.py", line 609, in send
File "site-packages\requests\adapters.py", line 497, in send
requests.exceptions.SSLError: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:590)
Failed to execute script get
=================

Did run get as administrator.

Any hints?

Leo

jgripp

Postby jgripp » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 am

I see same issue 1/13/18 when trying to upload WiFiScanner sketch to Heltec esp32 LoRa board using Arduino IDE 1.8.5.

Tend to agree with leovzz as the esp32 Git repo set does not include directory to or xtensa-esp32-elf-g++ file.

Appears that get.py command adds files to esp32 needed for upload to the HW library.

Per other recent bug post, get.py failing SSL file transfer.

Hope to see progress with SSL fix.

perigalacticon

Postby perigalacticon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:57 am

I don't think your problem was the same as mine. I am waiting until I have some time and patience to uninstall and reinstall the Arduino IDE again. I am tired of doing this to fix problems like this but I guess it has to be done. What a hassle. I'll let you know.

jgripp

Postby jgripp » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:57 am

perigalacticon,

I was able to successfully install the Arduino IDE for esp32 by following instructions in below youtube video.

Look at minute 2:45 in the video where get.exe is invoked from the windows directory vs. command line.

Command line window opened and was able to watch xtensa-esp32-elf-g++ and other files/directories download and extract.

This is the only difference from previous failed Arduino IDE setup attempts.

Good luck.

Install Arduino core for ESP32 to Arduino IDE/Windows 10 (minute 2:45)
https://youtu.be/QBjiuOcJics