SD card mount failed esp32 WEMOS LOLIN32 kit with MicroSD card adapter

Shyam sundar

SD card mount failed esp32 WEMOS LOLIN32 kit with MicroSD card adapter

Postby Shyam sundar » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:40 pm

Hello
I am using arduino ide, SD_test program for my esp32 wemos lolin32 kit with microsd card adapter.Connections are given like,
CS-5
MOSI-23
GND-GND
VCC-3.3v
SCk-18
MISO-19
and when i uploaded the program with/without Micro sdhc 4GB,16GB serial monitor shows SDcard mount failed.i have gone through other similar posts and tried the same changes mentioned in those but there is no change in the serial monitor output.
if there is any other alternative please let me know.it is a bit urgent
Thanks in advance
regards
Shyam

RBruderick

Re: SD card mount failed esp32 WEMOS LOLIN32 kit with MicroSD card adapter

Postby RBruderick » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:05 am

Hi, Shyam Sundar
I'm trying to do the same thing.
It's very disappointing that there were 0 responses to your post half a year later.
I assume it's impossible to use the MicroSD on the Lolin32.
- Rick

Neutrinium

Re: SD card mount failed esp32 WEMOS LOLIN32 kit with MicroSD card adapter

Postby Neutrinium » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:39 pm

Hi,
for those having problems using micro SD modules with Lolin32, LolinD32 or even other development boards, there's a working around.
It seems that this modules works fine if connected on Vin or USB rail (~5V), but not in 3.3V. Possibly because it requires the power to pass on AMS1117. That way, when connected to the 3.3V rail, there is not enough juice for the card.
One simple approach is to remove the AMS1117 and make a direct contact of input and output pins of AMS1117 in PCB. That way you can connect the VCC pin of micro SD module to the 3.3V rail and the module will work. You must remember thought to NEVER, NEVER connect the VCC pin of microSD module to 5V pin, or it ll fry your SD card.
Of course you can always use the SD card directly connected to the micro controller (https://alexlubbock.com/micro-sd-adapter-esp8266-esp32). But as cheap as these micro SD modules are, just removing the AMS1117 regulator of the module still a very good deal.
Attachments
microSD module 3.3V.png
microSD module 3.3V.png (693.12 KiB) Viewed 3416 times