Does ESPNow store peer mac id in NVS ?

drsrikanthb

Does ESPNow store peer mac id in NVS ?

Postby drsrikanthb » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:25 am

I am using ESPNow as a peer to peer connection. Each of 2 ESP's send information to each other wait for a custom ACK and go to deep sleep for a fixed time
They repeat this on wake up.
I do this around 5 times a second
However as I am in Deep sleep, I have to re-initialize ESPNow on each wakeup and also add the peer (fixed MacId in firmware)
My questions :
1. Is the peer data stored in Non volatile Storage ?
2. If so, I am wondering if the peer pairing so many times would write repeatedly to Flash/EEPROM and damage my ESP eventually ?
3. If that is the case,should I use a ESP Broadcast which will not require pairing ? (If I do this, I will have to use a pre-shared key between the paired devices as I am planning to have multiple pairs of such devices talking only to one peer and a broadcast would be received by everyone)
4. Is there a way for peer pairing to be permanent till I remove peer for adding another (say on damage to one device) ?

Thank you

littlesky

Re: Does ESPNow store peer mac id in NVS ?

Postby littlesky » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi drsrikanthb, the peer data is not stored in NVS unless you did so in your firmware. There is no other way to keep peer data unless storing it in NVS and set it from NVS after waking up from deep sleep.

drsrikanthb

Re: Does ESPNow store peer mac id in NVS ?

Postby drsrikanthb » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:40 pm

@littlesky
Thank you for the clarification. If I need to I will do it in NVS. My worry was whether it was being done by the Arduino ESPNow library or the WiFiESPNow library I am using

Thanks for the prompt reply.