WROVER with Arduino IDE

czuvich

WROVER with Arduino IDE

Postby czuvich » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:23 pm

I've been programming ESP32 for the last few months using the Arduino IDE and an Adafruit HUZZAH ESP32 board. It's been going great for my first board since I'm only using BLE functionality. I am now in need of using both BLE and WiFi functionality; however, I think I am hitting some RAM limitations when trying to use both WiFi and BLE with the WROOM module in the Arduino environment. I think I can disable Classic Bluetooth and a few other things in ESP-IDF; however, I would like to stay in Arduino since I'm still new to micro-controller programming.

Having said that, I went ahead and purchased a v4.1 ESP-WROVER KIT since it appears to come with some extra RAM (4MB). My questions are:

1) Is it possible to keep programming with the Arduino IDE and use the WROVER board configuration? If so, are there additional steps I need to follow to get it setup? All I had to do was install the Board into the Arduino IDE to get up and running on the HUZZAH ESP32 from Adafruit.

2) Will the additional RAM be available automatically when I start programming or will I need to do some additional setup.

I apologize if these are newbie questions, but I just couldn't find any real "step-by-step" instructions to get an Arduino IDE setup with WROVER (unless it's easy as picking the WROVER board and plugging in a micro-usb).

Thanks!

FreddyVictor

Re: WROVER with Arduino IDE

Postby FreddyVictor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:06 am

OK, I'm new to ESP32, so this may be wrong !

I believe you may need a new board configuration in the boards.txt file
At the end of the compile, it gives a % used of program & data (RAM)
The figure for data matches the board config line (WROVER board shown):
esp32wrover.upload.maximum_data_size=327680
So using the WROVER board config will mean that the % used could be greater than 100%
Whether the compile will fail and abort any upload is a question I don't know
If it does fail, then you can easily create your own boards, just copy a similar one and give it a new name, change the max data, then re-start the IDE

HTH

ps: If you change the boards.txt file, save a copy before you edit it !

boarchuz

Postby boarchuz » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Select the correct board and it will be fine. The WROVER boards have a flag in boards.txt, "-DBOARD_HAS_PSRAM".

czuvich

Postby czuvich » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:44 pm

I was able to get it working with the updated RAM. It was as easy as stated above. Great work on this dev kit!