Which ESP32 device to select in Arduino Boards and No Serial connection?

themusicman

Which ESP32 device to select in Arduino Boards and No Serial connection?

Postby themusicman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi All

So I have purchased a ESP32 board - ESP-WROOM-32 - but seem to be having difficulty integrating this into my environment. I have a Mac running High Sierra, and a RaspberryPi 3B+ running Raspbian, both of which are running the Arduino IDE.

I have two questions please;

1 - In Arduino IDE on the Mac - which board do I select from those available? I have installed espressif board manager and see a list of various ESP32 boards, however none of them appear to contain any reference to the board I have purchased - WROOM - so I have no idea which one I should select from the list.

2 - I don't seem to be able to get any serial connection when the ESP32 is connected to my MacboolPro USB port. No ports are available in the Ports selection except the default Mac bluetooth one!

As an aside, I did manage to flash the ESP32 with MicroPython using the RaspberryPi, and am able to get to the REPL using rshell. Have successfully executed a simple

Code: Select all

blink
script and thus can say the ESP32 board itself is not faulty and is functional.

However, no luck with the Mac, or Arduino IDE on either machine, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks all.
John