I got on the beta!

TheFlyingZephyr

I got on the beta!

Postby TheFlyingZephyr » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:31 pm

I just got the notice that I made it onto the beta! WOOT! I have big need for this chip in a commercial product, I'm currently using 2 ESP8266s in parallel for the power I need. Now I will have two cores + BLE in one chip. I can't wait!
Principal dev at Microsoft. Specializing in Cloud, IOT. Currently using: Visual Studio, Visual Micro, C#, C++, Typescript, Xamarin, Arduino, ESP8266.

DAFlippers

Re: I got on the beta!

Postby DAFlippers » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Do you know if there are any plans within Microsoft for Win10 IoT core to support ESP32/8266?

David

Mario_

Postby Mario_ » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:57 pm

For that they would need at least 1GB of flash and a DVD drive over SPI :D Remote desktop over wifi is possible :P
Using ESP8266 with native sdk. Exp: C, C++, Arduino, AVR, Ruby, PHP, Gentoo and Arch Linux, Docker, GCC. SMD soldering and PCB etching @ home. Past Plague Inc game, now freelance working on IoT.

DAFlippers

Postby DAFlippers » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:49 am

No DVD needed however SDcard would be necessary.

David

Mario_

Postby Mario_ » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:45 am

Really, ESP is smallest possible, low-cost, low-power, low-level device with very limited resources mainly for embedding into smart devices.

If you need running Windows and communicate with USB devices, use your old laptop as an IoT platform or buy a Raspberry or similar "big" overkill machine.

By just looking at specs you can clearly see this is something completely different: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx
Using ESP8266 with native sdk. Exp: C, C++, Arduino, AVR, Ruby, PHP, Gentoo and Arch Linux, Docker, GCC. SMD soldering and PCB etching @ home. Past Plague Inc game, now freelance working on IoT.

DAFlippers

Postby DAFlippers » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi Mario,

Windows IoT core is not Windows 10 but a .Net core designed to run on small boards including Raspberry Pi. Check out https://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/GetStarted.htm. This allows you to develop code and run it on a number of different devices.

David

Mario_

Postby Mario_ » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:32 pm

Yep but there is difference between small and tiny. :) Resource requirements for Win iot core are ridiculous as well as an idea of using raspberry pi and c# to light a led, lol. Btw did they cleaned up the mess in Windows 10 or do you still need 20GB of hdd space for a clean installation?