Help Choosing a communication system.

S2Jesse

Help Choosing a communication system.

Postby S2Jesse » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:03 pm

Hello. I have several esp32 boards. I am trying to plan / prototype out a system. See chart attached.
chart.png
chart.png (135.94 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
I am struggling choosing the best way to do the communication for between the esp32 boards. I'm looking at ble, espnow etc.

I need to be able to communicate from the input to the main controller as well as the wireless info display. The main controller needs to connect via wifi / router to the web as well. I've read that I can use ble and wifi at the same time however it may have some performance issues. These are all within a typical household range as far as the wireless goes and much shorter. Ideally id like to be able to easily add other input devices / sensors without hard coding anything. Battery life of the input / sensor is important as well. The input device is basically just a potentiometer controlling wireless input when in use. The hub/main controller controls motors etc and would process and send information to a database online. The wireless display just shows some Realtime data from the hub/ main controller.

Thanks for any insights/ problems/ or things to look out for.
Jesse

PeterR

Re: Help Choosing a communication system.

Postby PeterR » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:53 pm

Communication distance? Data throughput? Update frequency? UPC vrs NRE cost considerations?
You seem to be going wireless - is wireless a must & why?.
Low power & ESP aren't natural bed fellows but its depends on above.
ESP offer an all in one Wifi and BT/BLE but its a dual core & you don't need 100's of Mhz to read an ADC @10Hz.
EDIT: OK & not even at 30Hz.
30Hz @ (say) 16bits === 480 bps. Reminds me - how many sensors?
480 bps is really very slow. The tape drive from a 70's computers might have been quicker & so you should be pretty much free to use whatever.
& I also believe that IDF CAN should be fixed.