Availability of S2-MINI modules?

lowtolerance

Availability of S2-MINI modules?

Postby lowtolerance » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:45 pm

I’ve had some engineering samples of the S2-MINI modules since early November, with the impression that they were just awaiting certification before entering mass production.

What is the status on these modules? Are they still coming, or did Espressif have to go back to the drawing board on them? None of my part suppliers can give me an answer on when I should expect more to be available.

I’ve also been waiting for weeks for a C3 development board to arrive, and the estimated ship date has slipped twice now. [Edit: I got my C3 development board today, it even came in a nice little box :D]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 2929 times
Last edited by lowtolerance on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chegewara

Re: Availability of S2-MINI modules?

Postby chegewara » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:50 pm

I can't respond why there is problem with supplying modules and C3 dev boards, but I think this may be the cause:

https://theconversation.com/amp/a-globa ... -us-156700

rudi ;-)

Postby rudi ;-) » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:43 am

-Chaining of unpredictable things
The truth is we made a small mistake in the USB but we are fixing it in Jan. so the silicon after Feb will have USB.

-Displacement of manufacturing processes / delay of manufacturing processes

The "factory maker" for all Espressif chips to date is TSMC

-Forces of nature / Lack of water

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) —
Tanker trucks arrived at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) factories across the country Tuesday (Feb. 23) to quench the chipmaker's thirst for water.

I bought ESP32-s2 mini / ESP32-C3 mini from DigiKey at the time where they was for sale and available.
-------------------------------------
love it, change it or leave it.
-------------------------------------
問候飛出去的朋友遍全球魯迪

lowtolerance

Postby lowtolerance » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:26 pm

Thanks for the information, rudi. I snatched up a dozen samples of the S2-MINI from Digi-Key the moment I saw they had them for sale (as well as the ludicrously small and powerful ESP-PICO-MINI). I’m glad Espressif caught the problem before it was too late, the S2 chips are amazing and I think they’ll really take off once bidirectional USB support is fully baked in ESP-IDF. Hopefully the silicon shortage isn’t long-lasting.