What series of ESP32 SOC support camera?

supersleepypill1

What series of ESP32 SOC support camera?

Postby supersleepypill1 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:33 am

Hi guys. I am confused on which series of ESP32 support DVP camera. In Espressif product overview page's description and datasheet of ESP32 S series explicitly states it supports DVP type camera via I2S hardware. However, when you look at ESP32 SoCs ( dual core ones such as ESP32-D0WD-V3), while the product overview does not explicitly state camera support as in S-series, in the datasheet it sort of implies it can support a camera: 1: The applications section include "Cameras for Video Streaming" 2: The I2S pin table include "parallel camera data input" as one of the pin's functions. Can someone please explain whats happening here? Does it mean I have to bit-bang the data input if I am to use it?

ESP_krzychb

Re: What series of ESP32 SOC support camera?

Postby ESP_krzychb » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:31 am

Hi supersleepypill1,
ESP32, ESP32-S2 and ESP32-S3 chip series support DVP camera via I2S hardware.
See also https://github.com/espressif/esp32-camera

supersleepypill1

Re: What series of ESP32 SOC support camera?

Postby supersleepypill1 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:27 am

Heya ESP_krzychb,

Huh, so it does support DVP interface as well.

Yes, I have visited the Github repo but just wasn't sure what the "ESP32" meant exactly, as the datasheet of a ESP32 series (ESP32 with no suffix) chip such as the one in the question: ESP32-D0WD-V3, does not state it supports DVP explicitly as in the s2/3 series does (In s2 series data sheet, Advanced Peripheral Interfaces section includes "1 × DVP 8/16 camera interface, implemented using the hardware resources of I2S", while the same section of ESP32-D0WD-V3's does not )Thus that got me confused.

Thanks for your answer.