ESP32 possible manufacturing defect

7amansharma

ESP32 possible manufacturing defect

Postby 7amansharma » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:10 pm

I am using ESP32 since 8 months and for the first time I am facing this issue. When the GPIO9 is pulled down, the code can not be uploaded. and if the GPIO9 is not connected with anything and upload the code, the code runs fine and in between I pulled down the GPIO9, the code still runs fine but once the ESP gets reset or GPIO9 gets accessed then the ESP goes in the repeat reset mode. The error shown below:
Screenshot from 2018-04-09 17-29-45.png
Screenshot from 2018-04-09 17-29-45.png (104.79 KiB) Viewed 8690 times
since I have ESP32 from old lot, I replaced the old working ESP32 with new ESP32. It worked.

So my question is, is there any manufacturing issue with ESP32 new lot or there is something else which I am missing? I am using GPIO9 as UART1 RXD.

martinayotte

Re: ESP32 possible manufacturing defect

Postby martinayotte » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:32 pm

GPIO9 is connected to internal Flash, therefore it can be used for something else ...

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Agreed. The reason it may work for you now is that you may have flashed the program with the flash in DIO mode now. Be aware that connecting something to GPIO9 can still mess with your hardware as the HD pin of the flash will be pulled to undefined levels, and the chip will not like this. Also be aware that you can move the UART pins to any GPIO using the GPIO matrix; GPIO9 is merely the default pin.

Vader_Mester

Postby Vader_Mester » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:59 am

I had similar issues, with mine, but it was with D12 on a DevKitC, with the same error. When I connected something to it, it never booted and flashed. Removing the connection made it flash and boot, and when I reconnected it during runtime, the functionality of the pin actually worked.
Another thing that don't seem to add up, is that I did not have such problems with other code.

Now that I see it's not only me, I'll post a summary later today. From what I can see is that it is part of the MTD pins, and should be kept low when booting, but not sure why it works sometime and why it doesn't in the other times.

Code: Select all

task_t coffeeTask()
{
	while(atWork){
		if(!xStreamBufferIsEmpty(mug)){
			coffeeDrink(mug);
		} else {
			xTaskCreate(sBrew, "brew", 9000, &mug, 1, NULL);
			xSemaphoreTake(sCoffeeRdy, portMAX_DELAY);
		}
	}
	vTaskDelete(NULL);
}

7amansharma

Postby 7amansharma » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:49 am

martinayotte wrote:GPIO9 is connected to internal Flash, therefore it can be used for something else ...
OLD ESP32 is working as GPIO9 used as RX but new ones are not.
Is the internal flash connection are changed now? if yes then how is it possible as we have not changed any menuconfig configurations.

7amansharma

Postby 7amansharma » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:52 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:Agreed. The reason it may work for you now is that you may have flashed the program with the flash in DIO mode now. Be aware that connecting something to GPIO9 can still mess with your hardware as the HD pin of the flash will be pulled to undefined levels, and the chip will not like this. Also be aware that you can move the UART pins to any GPIO using the GPIO matrix; GPIO9 is merely the default pin.
Actually we have flashed only with DIO mode . we never changed this setting.

7amansharma

Postby 7amansharma » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:53 am

Vader_Mester wrote:I had similar issues, with mine, but it was with D12 on a DevKitC, with the same error. When I connected something to it, it never booted and flashed. Removing the connection made it flash and boot, and when I reconnected it during runtime, the functionality of the pin actually worked.
Another thing that don't seem to add up, is that I did not have such problems with other code.

Now that I see it's not only me, I'll post a summary later today. From what I can see is that it is part of the MTD pins, and should be kept low when booting, but not sure why it works sometime and why it doesn't in the other times.
Thanks.
We will be waiting for your summary.

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:06 am

What is difference of

Code: Select all

esptool.py flash_id
on the old vs new module?