Some questions about ESP32-wroom module

XiaMaoMao

Some questions about ESP32-wroom module

Postby XiaMaoMao » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:00 am

hi everyone,
I am ready to use ESP32-WROOM module as main chip for my product, now I have some questions for this module:
1. As this module already has FCC/CE/BQB/ROHS certification, shall I do these certification for my product again?

2. How can I measure RF in a production line when this module is on my base board? I don't see there are any uFL connectors on the module.

Thanks.

plajjd

Re: Some questions about ESP32-wroom module

Postby plajjd » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:51 pm

I also am planning to use the ESP-WROOM-32 and 32U modules in production in the United States. Can someone from Espressif help me understand the FCC WiFi certifications?

Specifically, my questions are:

1. If I use the ESP-WROOM-32 module, is this module already certified for WiFi in the United States?

2. For the ESP-WROOM-32U, do I need to use a specific antenna? If I use my own antenna, does this mean I will need to re-certify my product with the FCC?

Thanks!

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:48 am

You may want to poke sales@espressif.com with this, as I'm unsure if the colleagues that are familiar with all the ins and outs of certifications roam these boards.

plajjd

Postby plajjd » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:08 pm

I received an answer from Betty Liao at sales@espresiff.com. I'll share here for anyone else that may be interested:

"Yes, our products are all FCC certificated.
You will find the certificate on our official website. I put the link as below for your reference.
https://www.espressif.com/en/certificat ... -WROOM-32U

External antenna isn't the factor influences on FCC. So you can use any brand external antenna that fits the product."

XiaMaoMao

Postby XiaMaoMao » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:51 am

Thanks for your share!

WiFive

Postby WiFive » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:56 am

plajjd wrote:I received an answer from Betty Liao at sales@espresiff.com. I'll share here for anyone else that may be interested:

"Yes, our products are all FCC certificated.
You will find the certificate on our official website. I put the link as below for your reference.
https://www.espressif.com/en/certificat ... -WROOM-32U

External antenna isn't the factor influences on FCC. So you can use any brand external antenna that fits the product."
I call shenanigans. It has to be the same antenna type (gain profile, radiation pattern) and the max gain has to be less than or equal to that of the tested antenna. They are supposed to publish an antenna selection document with the FCC filing.

plajjd

Postby plajjd » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:36 pm

I call shenanigans. It has to be the same antenna type (gain profile, radiation pattern) and the max gain has to be less than or equal to that of the tested antenna. They are supposed to publish an antenna selection document with the FCC filing.
Unfortunately, I tend to agree with you. My understanding of the FCC rules was that a transmitter/antenna pair is what they certify.

However, I notice that the FCC certification document does indeed certify the ESP-WROOM-32 module, and states that the antenna used must be 20 cm from any other antenna, and things like that - but it does NOT specify which antenna must be used.

The output watts are listed as 0.001 Watts (for 2402 - 2480 Mhz) and 0.039 Watts (for 2412 - 2462 Mhz)

Does anyone know if these are full power settings?

Thanks again!

erikstauber

Postby erikstauber » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:10 pm

Has anyone been able to use Espressif's certification for the ESP32-WROOM-32U module? I'd prefer to be able to use ESP's certified pair, so I don't have to go through the certification process.

I see the Espressif provides the link to the datasheet of the antenna they used...(in this thread: https://esp32.com/viewtopic.php?t=8053), but that antenna doesn't seem easy to get. Anyone else able to get it, or convince the FCC that another antenna is equivalent?

Thanks,
Erik