Eclipse on Windows Setup and related errors

/dev/null

Eclipse on Windows Setup and related errors

Postby /dev/null » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:56 pm

Hey folks. I'm new to the ecosystem, and am having some difficulties getting eclipse to properly and automatically include all the appropriate headers - at least from an IDE/semantic point of view. Everything builds perfectly, even from within eclipse, but I can't get eclipse to resolve the included headers unless I spell out the paths. I've gone very carefully through the getting started steps (three times now) and simply cannot get things to work unless I add a bunch of include paths in my project settings - similar to those found in this guide I found online.

Any help on how to get this to set up more elegantly would be most appreciated. Thanks!

chromebin

Re: Eclipse on Windows Setup and related errors

Postby chromebin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Welcome to the club. Good question, hope you get an answer!

Now.. if the instructions you mentioned would instruct to simply fix the MSYS username to "user", then Expressif could all simply share workspaces and in general substitute "instructions for humans" with scripts, and thus put an end to the neverending pain this involves.

The install would be like that of an Arduino: simply extract and run. No instructions required. Could include Eclipse.

ESP_Angus

Re: Eclipse on Windows Setup and related errors

Postby ESP_Angus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi /dev/null,

Sorry for the inconvenience and fiddliness involved in setting up Eclipse.

We recently learned that an Eclipse CDT update has removed the need for the Windows-specific workarounds mentioned in the "Eclipse for Windows" setup guide. We're reviewing an update to the docs which merges the Windows Eclipse setup back into the "generic" MacOS/Linux instructions.

This means you should be able to follow these non-Windows-specific instructions:
https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... setup.html

With one additional note when editing PATH in the Project settings:

Code: Select all

Windows users will need to prepend ``C:\msys32\usr\bin;C:\msys32\mingw32\bin;C:\msys32\opt\xtensa-esp32-elf\bin`` to the beginning of ``PATH`` 
The official docs should be updated very shortly.
chromebin wrote: Now.. if the instructions you mentioned would instruct to simply fix the MSYS username to "user", then Expressif could all simply share workspaces and in general substitute "instructions for humans" with scripts, and thus put an end to the neverending pain this involves.
Medium/Long term, what we're hoping to do on Windows is remove the dependency on MSYS2 entirely. The CMake-based build setup on Windows includes an "ESP-IDF Tools" installer which installs the relevant tools into Windows Program Files and adds them to the Path.

Unfortunately we haven't gotten as far as completing the instructions for using the CMake-based build system in Eclipse yet, although users have reported success with both Eclipse CDT and VSCode.