Powering ESP32 project

gsaplx

Powering ESP32 project

Postby gsaplx » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:49 am

Hello everybody,

This is my first topic ever regarding microcontrollers since I was hit by the automation microbe :)

Apologies if this question was already asked but my searches didn't end up very consistent on this matter.

I want to build a curing chamber in an old small fridge and I thought the ESP32 board will be a good choice. But, I'm a bit stuck in the powering the hole thing since I will need different voltages for the components.
The parts I will use will be:
- esp32 board
- DHT22 temperature sensor
- 5v small humidifier
- 12v CPU fan that is laying around
- 1.3'' tft screen
future implementation:
- power meter sensor
- load cell sensor

So, my first struggle is with powering all this from the main to keep it simple and compact. I was thinking to use the Hi Link power supply module to transform the 220vAC into DC 5v 0.6A for the humidifier and relays and another Hi Link 3.3v for the ESP32 and screen since the 5v Hi Link doesn't have enough current to power all up. But then, how I power the 12v fan? Or should I get a 5v fan which are a bit expensive and I already have a 12v one.

Maybe someone has a good scenario for my struggle :) Would give me hopes that I can eat some good sausages in the near future :)

All the best,
Gabriel

Nespressif

Re: Powering ESP32 project

Postby Nespressif » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:09 pm

Hi, I think the best thing for your project is to use an ATX power supply (in any old computer you'll find one you can use). These sources have several outputs 12v, 5v and 3.3v, so you can feed all your devices without problems and without spending any money. Plus you'll have plenty of power.

Regards,

gsaplx

Postby gsaplx » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:04 pm

Nespressif wrote:Hi, I think the best thing for your project is to use an ATX power supply (in any old computer you'll find one you can use). These sources have several outputs 12v, 5v and 3.3v, so you can feed all your devices without problems and without spending any money. Plus you'll have plenty of power.

Regards,
Hi Nespressif,

Thanks for your answer. Very good idea, didn't thought about that. But in a way it destroys the idea of microcontroller, using such a big power source. And as I challenged myself to make something as compact as possible I would like to integrate everything on a PCB without using a separate power adaptor.

All the best,
Gabriel

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:17 am

For the fan, one option would be to run it at 5V (lots of fans work, although slower), another would be to have a little boost-converter from 5V to 12V... but to be honest, I'd just chuck a cheapo 12V PSU at the issue myself. Or redesign the entire thing to run off an 12V PSU, with buck-converters for the 5V and 3.3V.

gsaplx

Postby gsaplx » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:21 am

ESP_Sprite wrote:For the fan, one option would be to run it at 5V (lots of fans work, although slower), another would be to have a little boost-converter from 5V to 12V... but to be honest, I'd just chuck a cheapo 12V PSU at the issue myself. Or redesign the entire thing to run off an 12V PSU, with buck-converters for the 5V and 3.3V.
Yes, good idea. I will buy a cheap 12V 2-3A PSU and buckle converters for 5V and 3.3V. Do you know by any chance a module that can take 12V input and convert to two outputs 5V and 3.3V so I can keep it simple?
Thanks.

loboris

Postby loboris » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:51 am

This is cheap and works very good.
It works with input voltages of up to 24V and can provide more than 2A of current.
You will need two of them, one for 5V and one for 3.3V

gsaplx

Postby gsaplx » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:45 pm

loboris wrote:This is cheap and works very good.
It works with input voltages of up to 24V and can provide more than 2A of current.
You will need two of them, one for 5V and one for 3.3V
Thank you! I already ordered :)