ESP32 AT Commands

afeezaziz

ESP32 AT Commands

Postby afeezaziz » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:54 am

Hi,

I am developing various IoT products using ESP8266 and ESP32. Using both modules as slave mode, I use various AT commands. For ESP8266, fortunately, Espressif provides AT commands reference at https://github.com/espressif/ESP8266_AT. I am wondering whether there is an AT commands reference for ESP32?

I managed to use a few AT commands such as "AT+CWJAP".

Please do share if there is such reference. Thank you in advance.

iot-bits.com

Re: ESP32 AT Commands

Postby iot-bits.com » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:43 pm

I guess ESP32 resources are way too high to make it a slave system based on standard AT commands. It would be similar to wasting a 600 DMIPS dual core SoC on a system with just one function available.
So probably a custom command set can be defined for specific applications with ESP32 as slave... but I guess nothing generic will make sense. ESP32 is just... too standalone!
- Pratik
:geek: Just another hobbyist and consultant

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:42 pm

There is an AT firmware in development for ESP32, but I don't think a reference of this kind is available yet. It will be similar to the ESP8266 AT command set.

Once a reference guide is available, it will appear here:
http://espressif.com/en/support/download/documents

and we'll endeavour to reply here on the forum as well.

afeezaziz

Postby afeezaziz » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:33 am

iot-bits.com wrote:I guess ESP32 resources are way too high to make it a slave system based on standard AT commands. It would be similar to wasting a 600 DMIPS dual core SoC on a system with just one function available.
So probably a custom command set can be defined for specific applications with ESP32 as slave... but I guess nothing generic will make sense. ESP32 is just... too standalone!
Yes, I would agree that this would be a waste to use a good SoC just for its WiFi and BLE functions. Nevertheless, most of our products are using mbed(ESP32 cannot be programmed using mbed AFAIK) and ESP32 or ESP8266 are the easiest to source, in my area, compared to other WiFi modules. Furthermore, it is among the most affordable WiFi modules. :)

afeezaziz

Postby afeezaziz » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:35 am

ESP_Angus wrote:There is an AT firmware in development for ESP32, but I don't think a reference of this kind is available yet. It will be similar to the ESP8266 AT command set.

Once a reference guide is available, it will appear here:
http://espressif.com/en/support/download/documents

and we'll endeavour to reply here on the forum as well.
Ok thank you ESP_Angus, we shall wait for it as I am sure there is a lot of people like me out there that is interested to IoT-fying things using ESP32 as we can use both BLE and WiFi. Thanks!

simon.peacock

Postby simon.peacock » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:58 am

Actually using the dual core SOC with AT isn't a waste depending on what your plan is. I've worked with more expensive chip sets which take considerable programming to get them up and running, with the ESP32, 3 commands and the WiFi is connected.. not bad.. but my requirement has security at its core, secure boot-loader, secure over the air upgrades, secure comms. This is where the ESP32 falls short. Who on earth decided there is NO binary in TCP frames? Have they read the RFC's lately? Is there an all text RFC?
For whoever has the keys to libat_core.a I would suggest he has a look at binary input (often done as straight hex chars) and make the TCPIP actually useful

Simon

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:35 am

simon.peacock wrote:This is where the ESP32 falls short. Who on earth decided there is NO binary in TCP frames? Have they read the RFC's lately? Is there an all text RFC?
How did you conclude the ESP32 AT cannot do binary? As far as I can see, all commands having to do with data have a length field. If you put the amount of binary data bytes there, you can then dump any data into the serial line you may want to send.

iw2lsi

Postby iw2lsi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi...

Quoting ESP_Sprite:
How did you conclude the ESP32 AT cannot do binary? As far as I can see, all commands having to do with data have a length field. If you put the amount of binary data bytes there, you can then dump any data into the serial line you may want to send.
as far I can see, I can send binary data but not receive them...

is this true or am I missing something ?

Best Regards

Giampaolo