Flash memory available

vgonet

Flash memory available

Postby vgonet » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:16 am

Hello,

I'm using an ESP-WROOM with a 4Mb FLASH.
I have to store small MP3 files in the internal FLASH. So I've to know the number of available bytes in the FLASH. In other words, I need to know the memory size used by my firmware.
I've tried to find the information in the app-template.map but I don't find it. Is there a place where I can find it ?
Thanks

fly135

Re: Flash memory available

Postby fly135 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:51 pm

The partition that holds your code in flash is defined by the partition file. You then take whatever flash that isn't being used as defined by the partition file, and create a partition to hold your MP3 files. When you burn the flash with your firmware it shows you how much is being written. You can adjust the code partition based on how much data is reported being flashed.

That is the simplest way to deal with it. There are commands you can execute to give you more detailed reports on code size. But it doesn't sound like you need to go that route given the size pops up on the screen every time you burn the flash.

"Wrote 993632 bytes (588228 compressed) at 0x00010000 in 14.6 seconds (effective 544.0 kbit/s)..."

John A