Heat issues?

cmason

Heat issues?

Postby cmason » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:36 am

Continuing discussion from this thread:

I'm seeing about 46 C max using a non-contact thermometer held ~10 cm above the ESP chip after my code (described in above thread) has been running (successfully) for perhaps 30 mins. This is on a Sparkfun ESP32 Thing (schematic). This happens even with no external devices/GPIOs attached (except USB). I've also tried disabling the LEDC control code (in case it was my interrupt or the LEDC timers causing the issue) and still chip gets painful to the touch within a few seconds.

Is anyone else having heat problems?

Does ESP32 have onboard temperature sensor (I don't see this mentioned in reference manual)?

Thanks,

-c

WiFive

Re: Heat issues?

Postby WiFive » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:10 am

If you just leave it on in waiting for download mode does it still get hot?

cmason

Postby cmason » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:29 am

If you just leave it on in waiting for download mode does it still get hot?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but if I hold down the 0 button while plugging in to USB, my code doesn't seem to run although the LED is on dimly. I think this is bootloader mode. In this mode, no it does not seem to get as hot (warm, but not painful).

That said, I've been experimenting with the micropython port, and it too gets painfully hot just sitting at the REPL prompt for a few minutes. Particularly so if wifi is connected.

Thanks,

-c

onehorse

Postby onehorse » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:34 pm

I've used ny ESP32 Dev Board based on Sparkfun's schematic (really just the reference design) and I have run ledc to light an rgb led through 255 colors, run several I2C sensors, run SPI flash memory and I have never seen the chip even get warm. I did the wifi scan successfully also and didn't notice (wasn't specifically looking) the chip heat up.

It sounds like there might be a solder bridge on your ESP32 which is causing heating. Can you measure the current used when the ESP is just blinking an led; should be ~10 - 20 mA I would guess. If it is 100 mA, then you have a (partial) short somewhere.

But I agree, being able to read the embedded temperature sensor would be useful in general.

santanapablo1975

Postby santanapablo1975 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi All,

If the radios (BT , Wifi) are one, the board get hot, but it is normal, I have made some measurements, and it is around 160 mA with the radio on...

I use the internal temperature sensor and got aroun 60°C, for the die iit is OK...

And playing with "deep-sleep" for 30 secs, the temp sank to 50°C

REgards