Python EGG_INFO and PACMAN really hurt

Alekos2313

Python EGG_INFO and PACMAN really hurt

Postby Alekos2313 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:29 pm

Hello,
I had to re-install everything on a new PC for esp-idf, to continue my project.
I bumped into the same OLD problem with python, egg, pacman mickey mouse donald and santa clause.
Last time I had it it was few months ago when I pulled a new esp-idf release, and after few HOURS of googling for other poor people
I found on suggested solution that worked.
This time I spent 3 days trying all solutions on internet and nothing worked.
I installed everything 3 or 4 times folowing the "Getting started guide", I did all the steps to install all from scratch
I copied my old msys32 / esp-idf folders from backup... nothing worked.
Either pythons eggs and infos fail, or pacman is dead or what ever stupid reason. Is this fixed, or should I abandon esp32?
I am not a python expert, I am not a msys expert and I dont wish to become one. I write C code, and I prefer to stay at this.
let me know if I should wait for a fix, or go to another product, that at least doesnt fail to install its own tools.

Very dissapointed
Alex.
P.S. don't imagine a strange machine, with hacks on it. Its a simple Win7 - 64bit computer, on which any other software works. I develop VHDL projects, C code on atmel ARM and its all working fine, so its not a "bad computer".

ESP_Roland

Re: Python EGG_INFO and PACMAN really hurt

Postby ESP_Roland » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:33 am

Hello Alex.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. In general, If you encounter a problem then please report it with the corresponding error outputs and problem description (IDF version, Python version) so we could help you.

Also please note that there is an installer https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... -installer which should help to avoid to getting into trouble with installing the required tools.

Roland

ESP_Angus

Re: Python EGG_INFO and PACMAN really hurt

Postby ESP_Angus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:55 am

To add to Roland's comment, if you don't want to move to the IDF Tools Installer (which means using the new CMake build system rather than the older GNU Make build system, and does not use MSYS2 at all) then there are also pre-configured MSYS2 environments that you can download for Windows:

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... hain-setup

The latest (20181001) pre-configured MSYS2 environment should "just work" with a one line call to Python pip to install the remaining requirements, which happens during ESP-IDF setup.

If this doesn't work on the latest MSYS2 zip, please open a GitHub issue or post here with what happens and we'll debug it with you.