Best way to configure wifi and other values

Nespressif

Best way to configure wifi and other values

Postby Nespressif » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:44 am

Hello, everybody,

I'm studying the issue of provisioning, so that any non-advanced user can configure my ESP32 in the easiest way possible and thus be able to use it. To configure it in addition to the Wifi credentials, I also need to set another set of values.
I have seen in the latest version of esp-idf (3.0.2 I think) the provisioning section and its examples. I have tested some and ble_prov if it works compiling the app for Android, these examples are fine but I do not know how to modify the app to work with softap_prov (transport Wifi). Another problem is that the user must install an app on his phone to configure the device and that is a problem.

In the stable version of esp-idf I have seen the examples of bluefi and also smartconfig, which also require an app installed in order to supply the configuration information to the device. I also know that Kolvan has a component in C++ to do this, but since it is in C++ I don't know how to use it in my programs.

For me the ideal would be to have some method to force ESP32 to go into "configuration mode" (for example pressing the Boot button) and that in this mode works as an AP + web server, so I could connect to the device via wifi and my browser would show me the page where I can enter all the configuration values. Once the configuration is applied (as it is done with any router), the device would work normally with the new configuration supplied.

Sorry for the extension of the post, but I would be grateful if someone would explain the easiest way to configure my devices (bluefi, smartconfig, provisioning...etc) and better if you do not have to install anything on the mobile phone.

Thank you very much in advance.

boarchuz

Re: Best way to configure wifi and other values

Postby boarchuz » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:17 am

Yeah you want WiFi in AP or APSTA mode, a web server running that serves up a configuration page and parses the submitted form, and ideally a captive DNS portal so users connecting to the access point are automatically redirected (though this is a bit wonky nowadays with SSL everywhere).

It's for Arduino but there's a very popular library here, for example: https://github.com/tzapu/WiFiManager

Nespressif

Re: Best way to configure wifi and other values

Postby Nespressif » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:58 am

Thank you for your answer, at the end I have tried several and I will use this https://github.com/tonyp7/esp32-wifi-ma ... fi_manager

Greetings,