ESP32 as bootable usb decive

ryanjl9

ESP32 as bootable usb decive

Postby ryanjl9 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:52 pm

So I have an idea for a project that involves using the ESP32 as both a USB storage device and a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combination. I've been able to find documentation for how to use an SD breakout board to read and write to and SD card and I can use a male USB type A to male micro USB adapter to utilize the built in connection, but I've been unable to find any documentation stating whether or not I can use the ESP32 as a bootable drive. It appears that I could install a library of some sort so the CPU will see the ESP32 as a usb device but I've had difficulty finding a good, solid library. Also if I use the main USB connector as an interface with the SD card, I am unsure if I can still use it to inject keyboard command at the same time. If anyone could give me some insight as to where I should look or even if this is possilbe, it would be greatly appreciated!

ESP_Sprite

Re: ESP32 as bootable usb decive

Postby ESP_Sprite » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:44 am

With a bare devboard, you cannot; the ESP32 does not have on-board USB hardware and the USB port is provided by a hardware USB-to-serial chip. You'd need to add an external (e.g.) SPI-to-USB chip for this to work. I'll leave selecting a proper chip and finding/writing a library for it up to you.