A few questions. How to discover hardware, esp-touch, outbound messages

xinort@gmail.com

A few questions. How to discover hardware, esp-touch, outbound messages

Postby xinort@gmail.com » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:05 am

I've been playing with ESP-MESH/ESP-MDF and have a few questions.

1. Using the Mesh APK app when I power a new node, it automatically shows up in the app that a new device was found. How does this occur? Does the root node send a message, if so how is it sent over UDP? Or is the app finding it through bluetooth?

2. I'd like to be able to manage the mesh network without the use of a smartphone. Is it currently possible? Can esp-touch/smartconfig be used?

3. I can poll the hardware for it's state but it's not ideal for all node types. How is it accomplished when a node needs to send data to an external service or server? For example, a motion detector would send an outbound message only when the state changes?

ESP_LBB

Re: A few questions. How to discover hardware, esp-touch, outbound messages

Postby ESP_LBB » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:00 am

Hello Xinort,

Thanks for your interest in ESP-MESH/ESP-MDF, here is some info maybe useful:

1. When we power a new node, it's found through bluetooth.
But if it's not a new one, which is power off for sometime and then power on again, it will join its original network automatically(if the network is still there), the app will also show "a device joines the network", this message is sent by the root over UDP.

2. What do you mean by "manage the mesh network" ? Here si some ideas for different steps:

net config: we designed "mconfig" by BLE config way, it's can be replaced by esp-touch/smartconfig or any other ways you prefer, as long as be able to share the SSID&PWD of the router to the nodes.

add/delete node: if the root is connected to PC vias UART for example, then you can use PC CMD to manage it directly. Or else you can use ESP-NOW to send your commande to the root.

3. Sure the status can be sent to external service or server. You can try with this demo: https://github.com/espressif/esp-mdf/tr ... demo/mwifi

Here is the doc for MDF may help your development:https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... dge=latest