After ESP-IDF 1.0...

Moderator: ESP_flying_raijin

ESP_Sprite

After ESP-IDF 1.0...

Postby ESP_Sprite » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:05 am

So, ESP-IDF 1.0 is released. That doesn't mean we here at Espressif will be resting on our laurels, obviously. There still is enough to do.

First of all, we are working on more drivers. We have an I2S driver in the works and we're picking up that as SPI driver is high on the wishlist for a lot of people, so we're going to work on that pretty quickly.

Another thing we don't think the current code does that elegantly is interrupts: at the moment, you have to hardcode an interrupt for each peripheral / driver. We have some nice interrupt allocation in the works that will dynamically allocate interrupts, which should make it easier to have independent components using interrupts. This code also makes it possible to have interrupt handlers that are not in IRAM. Unfortunately, unlike anything else we're planning, this will break the driver APIs that initialize peripheral interrupts, so please do not get too attached to those you see in esp-idf 1.0.

Another thing that was high on our wishlist was the ULP coprocessor. We have a library that allows you to write and run assembly-language code for the ULP in the works; it may even be merged into master this weekend.

Anyway, as usual we will be pushing features into esp-idf whenever we think they're ready, so please do keep an eye on the master branch if you're waiting for some specific feature or are interested in what we come up with in general.

WiFive

Re: After ESP-IDF 1.0...

Postby WiFive » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:12 am

My wishlist:

RTC/analog is MIA. ADC/DAC/amp/sensors/touch/sleep+wake. Need docs.

Ram optimization

SD card support on HS1 parallel to SPI flash

Also new precompiled toolchain with float fix?

jumjum123

Postby jumjum123 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:50 am

To be honest, my understanding of this line
New peripheral drivers: uart/timer 1&2/sigmadelta/pluse CNT/i2c/rmt/rtc gpio/epwm/adc/dac/touch/spi/motor pwm/i2s/uhci.
was, that we would get i2c, spi, dac etc. already with ESP-IDF 1.0
Could you please help me to get a better understanding of this wording, to avoid misunderstandings like this for next release ?
Since there is no time frame given, would it be a good decision for now, to use peripheral components from Arduino?
Or would this be a waste of time, since next release is expected soon and expected differences between Arduino and ESP-IDF are big ?

ESP_igrr

Postby ESP_igrr » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:31 pm

jumjum123: All these drivers were planned to be delivered in ESP-IDF 1.0. We have failed to do that, for some drivers i wrote about this a week or so ahead of the release, for some (I2C) it only became clear that we won't be able to finish it few days before the release.
So, i do apologize that we haven't ticked all the points in the original list, but there was a disclaimer next to the list precisely for that reason — the plans were subject to change.

We will have plans for the next release (2.0 or 1.1, TBD) this week, and I will publish them here on the forum in the same way it was done for 1.0.

WiFive: analog part of RTC is mostly ready, it could have been merged into 1.0 if it got slightly more testing. Expect to see it in master soon. I would also very much like to have driver for SD peripheral. Me-no-dev has started working on this, but unfortunately it's far from being ready as I understand. New precompiled toolchain is actually available already, I just need to update setup guides in the ESP-IDF docs directory.

rosimildo

Postby rosimildo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:54 pm

It is really good to know that the Analog ( read/write ) drivers are about to be merged. I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks for the BLE component, very impressive what was released.

puterwang

Postby puterwang » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:42 am

When I2S driver will be ready? It's really important to our project ......

Ritesh

Postby Ritesh » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi,

When you are planning to provide fully developed and well tested I2C drivers with release?
Regards,
Ritesh Prajapati

jimbob

Postby jimbob » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:03 pm

Ritesh wrote:Hi,

When you are planning to provide fully developed and well tested I2C drivers with release?
This would be really useful for me too!

ESP_igrr

Postby ESP_igrr » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:36 am

Ritesh wrote: When you are planning to provide fully developed and well tested I2C drivers with release?
http://esp32.com/viewtopic.php?p=2660#p2654

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:14 am

dotthree wrote:Great work getting 1.0 out. I'll keep patiently waiting on I2S but I was hoping to hear a little news as far as external SRAM.

At the moment, it's possible to use external SRAM as a normal SPI device. We have code ready to use it as normal, internal RAM as well, but the current versions of the chip have a bug in it which introduces unpredictable errors in the data. We'll release this as soon as the chip revision that fixes this bug is on the market.