ESP32 Mailbox / Package receptacle

jowe81

ESP32 Mailbox / Package receptacle

Postby jowe81 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:48 pm

Hi all,

I am a single guy renting an apartment in a big city, and buy a lot of things online. Much of it is off Amazon, but there's a lot of Ebay stuff as well, especially electronic parts that come in small packages from China, and occasionally other suppliers.

There's no mailbox with this apartment, and typically my landlord accepts shipments - but I've been taxing his patience. Also, when he does receive packages on my behalf I almost never get them on the same day or even the next.

I realize there's such a thing as Amazon pickup points, and probably other services - but who wants to drive somewhere yet to get their mail?

So I built a contraption that has been helping me out beautifully for several months now, powered by the ESP32.

Here's a short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM-F6pFGwuU

If anyone wants more info, just ask. I'll say upfront though that the code is probably useless for you all. It's not beautiful or efficient at all, not even MQTT based (yet) but designed to be compatible with other proprietary automation I have, some of which is now about a decade old.

Anyway, curious to get some opinions. Thanks!

Johannes

WiFive

Re: ESP32 Mailbox / Package receptacle

Postby WiFive » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:58 am

Is it legal to have a registered postal address without a mailbox?

Did you consider using a camera and a high contrast pattern on the bottom of the box to not only detect items but send photos as well? Probably pi zero would be better for that.

jowe81

Re: ESP32 Mailbox / Package receptacle

Postby jowe81 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:22 am

Well the landlord has a mail-slit in his front door. But that doesn't help me.

Good idea about the camera. I have no experience with any kind of automated image analysis though - can you point me to a library and/or tutorial?