What would you like to see in The Next Chip?

michprev

Re: What would you like to see in The Next Chip?

Postby michprev » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:38 pm

mikemoy wrote:
What would you like to see in The Next Chip?
I now understand why manuf. don't ask this question. I have been following this post since its creation.
Very, very few good ideas, but the majority of them are people wanting to make this chip suit their own goals.
Not to mention trying to throw everything in, and the kitchen sink.

People, this is the a genie in a bottle where you rub it 3 times and make a wish and poof the best chip becomes reality.
The ESP32 is an unbelievable amazing chip already, and for what it costs where else can you find anything else to compare to it?
In reality, the only thing that i see this chip could use is a boost in memory. But even at that, its still VERY practical.
I have to absolutely agree. For me it would be enough to fix all or nearly all hardware bugs (peripherals + ECO, 3.9 and 3.10 especially) and incomplete features.

The only thing that is really needed is more pins IMHO.

fermienrico

Postby fermienrico » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:03 pm

leandro.adonis86 wrote:A must and perfect ESP32 would be nice to have BLE 5.0 and IEEE 802.15.4 support, wifi 5G can come later. Thank you.
LLVM would be such a strong point for Espressif. Imaging programming ESP32 on Rust lang. C/C++ is great but its time to move on to something more modern, secure and better than C/C++.

Rust has been enabled on ARM processors and it is still in its infancy but its such an incredible language with security built right in from the beginning.

Please please make LLVM layer for xtensa compiler.

mikemoy

Postby mikemoy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:25 pm

I have to absolutely agree. For me it would be enough to fix all or nearly all hardware bugs (peripherals + ECO, 3.9 and 3.10 especially) and incomplete features.

The only thing that is really needed is more pins IMHO.
Yes! If i had to choose between more ram or fixing the issues i would choose the later and more GPIO.
Because you know that once they come out with a new chip their efforts will be poured into the new one, and this will go toward the wayside.

michprev

Postby michprev » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:47 am

I also wonder if it is still worth to use Xtensa architecture. Well it is cheaper, you have some experience with it and you have also already done a lot of work on it... But
  • Xtensa ISA is under NDA so the only thing ESP users can do is stick up with ESP-IDF and hope that some missing features / bugs will be added / fixed soon; ESP users cannot go deeply to fix things themselves or help with development
  • also when you think of it JTAG debugging does not make much sense as you don!t have any way how to learn about Xtensa; UART debugging is just annoying and also in some cases unusable
  • because Xtensa is not very popular you have to care about toolchain and debugging tools themselves and you have to waste developer time just to keep it somehow working (and well it is not working as well as ARM toolchain for example)

fly135

Postby fly135 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:44 pm

I'd like for the next chip to not have unknown failures connecting to wifi.

John A

yoannd

Postby yoannd » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:42 pm

I'd like more GPIOs, and especially a 8/16bit DataBus that can be used with the DMA. This will help to interface LCD with higher resolution that 640x480..

I'd like also an OTG USB port :D with the appropriate libraries to use it effictevely.

Thanks,
Yoann

mikemoy

Postby mikemoy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Really? I have not had one issue with the Wi-Fi. It's been a rock for me.

ESP_Angus

Postby ESP_Angus » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:24 am

mikemoy wrote:
Really? I have not had one issue with the Wi-Fi. It's been a rock for me.
I've split further replies to this into a new thread as this one is already quite sprawling:
https://esp32.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6981&p=30199

ESP_Sprite

Postby ESP_Sprite » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:05 am

yoannd wrote:I'd like more GPIOs, and especially a 8/16bit DataBus that can be used with the DMA. This will help to interface LCD with higher resolution that 640x480..
Note that we already have that, it's just cleverly hidden away in the I2S peripheral and unfortunately doesn't have much driver support yet. (We're working on that, however.) There are some examples that use it, for example here.

Devil4492

Postby Devil4492 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:33 pm

ESP_Sprite wrote:MIPI DSI: If you're in real need of it, the ESP32 can actually fake MIPI compatibility with an external flipflop and some resistors. I have that working now, will publish the project eventually. Agreed that compatibility can be useful; will take a look at it.

Larger flash ROM for data: You are aware that you can add an external SPI flash to the ESP32 and control that with the built-in SPI driver? Alternatively, we have a pretty nice SD-card peripheral and sdriver.

SD-card: We do have SDIO slave support, so in theory you could be able to plug in the ESP32 into your PC already. We don't really have a workflow to go along with it when you want to use that to develop your standalone ESP32 application, however.