Can we fake esp-mdf root to avoid using a router yet?

jeffdc1979

Can we fake esp-mdf root to avoid using a router yet?

Postby jeffdc1979 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:47 pm

I am looking to create a multi-node mesh network that can interface with an android app only and not require the need of a router and IP address. I am hoping to be able to send data directly from the android device to the closest node in the mesh network that can act like a parent or root node to avoid having to run the data through a router ... essentially acting as a gateway to the mesh network. I have read all the other forum posts requesting this functionality and I see that it is "planned" but what is the status of it and is there a way to "hack" the code to allow for this or is it not open-source enough to allow?

magnomp

Re: Can we fake esp-mdf root to avoid using a router yet?

Postby magnomp » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:43 pm

I'm newbie to esp32, but what you want is teoritically possible if (1) you could have low level access to android wifi interface and (2) you mimic esp-mesh protocol.

I don't think (1) is possible and (2) seems to be undocumented

ESP_yudong

Postby ESP_yudong » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:22 pm

We could set a node as root manually using esp_mesh_set_type() or esp_mesh_set_parent() in the lastest esp-idf version. Then mesh network can be established without router.

ESP_yudong

Postby ESP_yudong » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:33 pm

I am looking to create a multi-node mesh network that can interface with an android app
Only mesh devices can join mesh_ap,so there may be other difficulties when you try to do this.

jeffdc1979

Postby jeffdc1979 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:02 am

Only mesh devices can join mesh_ap,so there may be other difficulties when you try to do this.
Isn't there android code to interface with the mesh network??? I am confused why you don't think this is possible or difficult?

ccrome

Postby ccrome » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:26 am

I want to do something simmilar: I need a mesh network to exist in a location without a router. Worst case is we could use another ESP32 as an AP and have the mesh self-organize around an ESP32 AP, right?

I'm about to give this a try.

-caleb

jdatqed

Postby jdatqed » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:13 pm

Have you tried this yet? If so, did you get it to work?

ESP_LBB

Postby ESP_LBB » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi guys,

We've updated the MDF, and the get-started examples is a routerless demo, will that meet your requirements?

Here is the link: https://github.com/espressif/esp-mdf/tr ... et-started